The Seattle Fire Department wishes everyone a happy holiday season. Here are some suggestions from the Seattle Fire Department’s Public Education Unit to keep your home safe during the season.
Every year, Christmas trees and lighting-related fires spike in December and January. Cords and plugs are the leading type of equipment involved in the ignition of Christmas trees.
Before you hang up holiday lights this year, make sure you take these steps:
• Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use decorative lights.
• Any string lights with worn, frayed or broken cords or loose bulbs should not be used.
• Do not connect more than three light strands together.
• Do not use nails or staples to hang lights to avoid damage to the cord.
• Always unplug tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
For more on holiday fire safety – http://www.seattle.gov/fire/pubEd/holiday