Contact: Seattle Fire Department PIO Corey Orvold, 206-386-1679
City, County and State Teams to Assess Health and Safety Conditions of Encampment
Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2016
Time: 9:25 a.m.
What: Media availability with Seattle Fire Chief Harold Scoggins
Location: PIO will escort media to press area. Please park near Airport Way South and South Royal Brougham Way.
Seattle Fire Chief Harold Scoggins will make brief statements to the media prior to further evaluation of the homeless encampment located along the Interstate 5 greenbelt. As directed by Mayor Ed Murray, the assessment is a collaborative effort of city, county and state workers led by the Seattle Fire Department. The multi-agency assessment is expected to begin at 9:30 a.m. and take between 3 and 5 hours.
Invited agencies include:
- Seattle Fire Department
- Seattle Police Department
- Seattle Public Utilities
- Public Health – Seattle & King County
- Human Services Department
- Seattle Parks and Recreation Department
- Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT)
- Washington State Department of Health
- Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT)
- Washington State Patrol
- Community outreach staff
- Downtown Emergency Services Center (DESC)
- Health Care for the Homeless Network
The goal is to assess the health and safety of the encampments as well as the impact that the encampments are having on infrastructure. The team will not displace any residents or remove any personal items or garbage.
Reporters and photographers will not be invited to join the assessment team.