With nights dipping into the 40s, it’s no wonder so many of us are grabbing more blankets, reaching for the thermostat and dusting off our space heaters.
A leading cause of home fires
Before you get too cozy, consider this: heaters are one of the leading causes of home fires. Now is a great time to survey each room with a heat source to look for potential fire hazards.
When you do, remember this rule of thumb: Baseboard heaters need one-foot of clearance and portable space heaters need three-feet of clearance. Give them space!
Safety tips for home heaters
- Never allow any item to drape across or be placed on top of a heater.
- Move away any furniture, bedding and other materials placed too close to baseboard and portable heaters.
- Make sure any portable heater is plugged directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord with a portable heater.
- Turn off a portable heater before leaving the room or going to sleep.
- When purchasing a heater, make sure it has been tested by an independent testing laboratory and features an automatic turn off if it tips over.
By keeping a watchful eye and giving heaters the space they require, it helps reduce the risk of a home fire. Now you can sit back and warmly (and safely) enjoy autumn’s beauty.