Knowing your family is prepared will help maintain peace of mind during a disaster. Take time to have a conversation together and talk about what each family member can do to keep themselves safe. Let your child know there may be time or communication delays when emergencies happen. Make sure everyone know and can access important contact numbers for key family members.
Take These Actions:
1. Watch video with your family: “When the Earth Shakes.”
- Find earthquake “safe spots” in your own home. Look for places away from windows, under sturdy desks or tables, in corners or against supporting columns.
- Practice “Drop, Cover and Hold On” with your children and loved ones.
- Play interactive games like “Disaster Master” and “Build a Kit.”
2. Create an emergency communications plan for the whole family. Review important numbers and how to send text messages in case of an emergency.
3. Know the emergency plan for your child’s school and childcare facility.
- What has changed in light of COVID-19?
- Review and practice the plan with your child.