We at Seattle Fire want to help keep your holiday calm and bright by following a few important electrical safety tips.
Did you know overloading your electrical outlets or damaged lighting equipment contributes to almost half of all home Christmas tree fires? Start with checking last year’s string of lights for any frayed wires or broken bulbs before plugging anything into your electrical outlets.
But don’t stop there…check this list twice!
- Check lighting and extension cords for damage before using
- Limit connecting of holiday lights to 3 strands.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights to prevent damaging the cords.
- Only plug one high energy appliance into an outlet at a time. Portable high energy appliances include microwaves, hair dryer, toasters, crockpots, blender, computers, portable heaters.
- When needed, use only a surge protected power strip. The packaging will be labeled “surge protector” or “protected” will be printed on the power strip.