The Seattle Fire Department and Police Department have recently seen an uptick in intentionally set fires in the Rainier Ave. S. and Beacon Hill vicinity. Most of the fires have occurred in dumpster receptacles and recycling bins, at construction sites, at businesses and sometimes residences. On Aug 20, the fire department responded to a large 3-alarm fire on Sturgus Ave. S. and a structure fire at a fruit stand on Rainier Ave. S., both of which were intentionally set. It is unknown at this time if the fires are related. Most of the fires have occurred between the hours of 12 a.m. and 6 a.m.
The Seattle Fire Department’s fire investigators continue to work closely with the Seattle Police Department’s Arson and Bomb Squad to share information regarding the ongoing investigations.
In light of these recent events, SFD and SPD are urging the public to immediately call 911 if you see someone setting an illegal fire, and to take steps to reduce the chance of a fire occurring at your home or business.
The Arson Alarm Foundation is offering an award from its annual $10,000 award fund to anyone with information that leads to the arrest or conviction of those responsible for setting recent fires in the vicinity. Call 1-800-55-ARSON or email SFD_FIU@seattle.gov with any information about these fires – you can choose to remain anonymous.
General information on new fires that occur in the Rainier Ave. S. and Beacon Hill vicinity will be posted to this blog on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This blog includes fires as far back as Aug. 20 (though many set fires occurred before this date). Further details regarding recent fires are kept confidential to maintain the integrity of the investigative process. Note: fires that occur the same day as an update may not be included immediately, as final reports by fire investigators are typically released the following day.
Updated on Sept. 16:
- Aug. 20: 1000 Block of Sturgus Ave. – 3-alarm fire at a construction site
- Aug. 20: 2000 Block of Rainier Ave. S. – structure fire at fruit market
- Aug. 21: 3800 Block of Cortland Pl. S. – vehicle fire
- Aug. 23: 3800 Block of Rainier Ave. S. – dumpster fire
- Sept. 1: 23rd Ave. S. and S. Plum St. – small fire at a construction site
- Sept. 12: 1000 Block of Sturgus Ave. S. – small fire at previously burned construction site
- Sept. 16: 4900 Block of 28th Ave. S. – small fire at a construction site