As 2018 comes to an end, the Seattle Fire Department would like to share some safety reminders to carry into 2019. December and January are the leading months for candle fires.
- Use flameless or battery operated candles
- When using candles with flames, extinguish all candles upon leaving a room or before going to sleep
- Place candles in sturdy metal, glass, or ceramic holders
- Place lighted candles where they won’t be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else
- Keep burning candles away from items that can catch fire such as furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, etc.
- Fireworks are not allowed in the city of Seattle or King County without a permit.
- Leave the fireworks to the professionals and attend a public fireworks display such as one at the Space Needle.
- Now is a good time make sure your smoke and CO alarms are working by testing and replacing batteries if necessary.
- Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of the home, in the hallway outside of bedrooms, and inside each bedroom. CO alarms should be on every level of the home outside of the bedrooms.
- Learn about the Seattle Fire Department’s free smoke/co alarm program