This week for Fire Prevention Month we are highlighting the fire risks related to heating which is the second main cause of home fires in the U.S.
Consider taking these precautions to prevent heating-related fires in your home.
- Give your heaters space. Do not put anything close to any type of heater.
- Never use an extension cord with a portable heater. Plug the heater directly into a wall outlet.
- Make sure your portable heater is tested by an independent testing laboratory and has an automatic shut off feature if it tips over.
- Turn portable heaters off before leaving the room or before going to bed.
- Never permit any item to drape across heaters.
- Clean or replace furnace filters regularly.
- Inspect all heating equipment yearly and always hire an experienced electrician to do any necessary repair work on your baseboard heaters.